The Placemaking and Outreach Director is a unique opportunity to strategize and lead the placemaking and engagement strategies for a nonprofit organization leading the revitalization of Milwaukee’s waterfront by connecting people to a neglected industrial space, supporting a healthy business community, and improving the quality of the district’s natural environment.
This full-time position will lead the efforts to inform and engage nearby residents, community members, businesses and other stakeholders to ensure people use, relate to and experience how waterfronts work – environmentally, economically, and socially – for the next century. This position manages a variety of projects and programs including public events. The position reports to the CEO and supervises an Operations Associate.
- Build relationships to devise and implement programs and strategies that reinforce community and business connections to the Harbor District to meet the organizational
vision and goals;
- Identify and pursue funding opportunities for programs, including preparing grant proposals and reports, and managing grant budgets;
- Conceptualize and execute events that support the organization’s engagement goals, including Harbor Fest;
- Lead and grow the Neighborhood Advisory Committee, a resident group engaged in Harbor District initiatives;
- Establish and nurture relationships with and between property owners and businesses to catalyze the unique sense of place including executing business specific events tailored from business input;
- Manage the community input process and outreach activities to increase the visibility of the organization within the community, establishing relationships with target populations to demonstrate advancement of projects and initiatives important to a flourishing District.
- Commitment to embedding equity and reversing historic lack of access to the Harbor and rivers on the southside of Milwaukee;
- Spanish fluency;
- Southside community connections;
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish trust quickly with others while cultivating and growing relationships among diverse stakeholders;
- Highly motivated, independent-thinking, and energetic professional with a can-do attitude;
- Willingness to actively contribute to a successful, high-functioning team and support overall organizational goals and needs;
- Passionate advocate for community perspectives being integrated into internal and external work.
To Apply: Position will remain open until filled, with a round of resumes reviewed on November 16, 2022. Submit a cover letter and resume (in PDF format only) to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Placemaking/Engagement” in the subject line.
Starting salary range is $55,000 – $70,000, depending on experience.
- Three weeks of paid vacation time, increasing with tenure to five weeks plus sick time;
- Ten paid holidays;
- Employer contribution to health insurance;
- An annual budget allocation for training, development, or conference attendance;
- Free parking;
- Monthly cell phone allocation.
Milwaukee Harbor District promotes and supports diversity of thought, culture, and background for the benefit of our employees, our organization and our community. Harbor District provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants regardless of race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, genetic information, without regard for any characteristic protected by state or federal law.
Harbor District believes that diversity and inclusion among our team is critical to our success and we seek to recruit, develop, and retain the most talented people from a diverse pool of candidates.